so off came the trim and and i started ripping up that nasty stuff.
the hardest part of the install was cutting the custom pieces, especially around corners and uneven walls. the vinyl itself is relatively easy to cut - just some scoring required with a utility knife then you can snap it. we tried to lay them unevenly or randomly, and also tried to break up the pieces enough that you can't see the repeated patterns. i think we did a pretty good job!
we totally cheated and didn't go all the way under the stove, but we went to where the base of the cabinets would be, so you really can't tell.
that's all for now. we still need to buy and install a threshold and trim, as it's looking rather unfinished right now, but overall we're very happy with the new floors and how much warmer it makes the kitchen feel. they're definitely a HUGE improvement over what it was before, and while we want something nicer in the long run, the vinyl is a great, cheap and easy temporary solution.